Search for a {mis}Adventure!

Friday, December 24, 2010

{mis} Adventure #7 (circa July 2008): Iritis -- What the Heck is THAT?!

So there I was, playing musical boxes in the apartment.  Sunday, I had to move the remaining boxes, reserved for my DITY move, to the center of the bedroom and living room so the painters could come paint the walls on Monday and Tuesday.  Wednesday, I had to clear out everything from the bedrooms and move them to the living room so the carpet could be replaced.  And tonight?  Tonight, I have to put move everything that I just put out in the living room back into the bedrooms so the cleaning service could buff, wax and clean-the-heck-outta the floors!

Oh, that iritis bit?  Well, I was trying to hang a strappy tank top on a wire hanger (a heavy duty hanger at that), but it kept sliding off of the sides of the hanger.  Soooo...I attempted to do what I've done MANY times over, which is bend the ends of the hanger upward so the dern tank top would stay on the hanger.  Well, this hanger was not having it -- not only would the silly thing not bend, BUT as an equal and opposite reaction to my bending attempts, the top c-curved "hangy" part propelled forward at a high rate of speed and...*WHACK!*  The hanger POPPED ME IN THE EYE!!

*OUCH* and *welp*...

Thankfully my eyelids did what they were supposed to do when threatened, they rushed to the clenched shut position.  Meanwhile, I see the brighter-than-a-supernova flash of light upon impact of the hanger to my eyelid-covered left eyeball and socket.  That sucker hurt SO badly that I cried.  Well, I mean my eye instantaneously teared up, but I was boo-hooing as well.  About five minutes later, I was able to bring myself to open my eyes and see if I could, well, see! 

*phew*

"I can see!!" 

"Hallelujah, praise the Lord!"

I grabbed some ice and iced the sucker.

Later that day and on into the night, I realized that my eye was light sensitive and not just when it was open, but when it was close and the other one was open the other little sucker hurt too!  W-T-H?!  Well, I had to drive over the mountain and into the sun (*owwww*) to get to the ophthalmologist sick call to figure out what was up. 

Long story short, according to the Doc my contact actually protected my eye and received all the scratches that the hanger intended for my eyeball.  However, my iris still sustained blunt trauma (remember that bright light I saw upon impact?).  Since the iris is apparently a muscle (as the controller of the pupil size) it was suffering a pain not unlike that after being punched in the calf.  Any movement afterward just HURTS!  Walking is to irritiating that calf muscle as looking at anything but a pitch black room is to irritating the iris (muscle)...since your pupils shouldn't dilate independently of each other, even though my eye was closed, its pal was still causing some muscle movement and pain!

Anywho, I now have the eyeball version of a muscle relaxant (those eye drops they use to dilate you) and must keep them dilated for the next 2-3 days.  I must admit, my eye does feel much better!  But I did have to wear those goofy roll-up sunglasses for my award ceremony today...*meh*.


{CLOUD}:  It's not fun when you get popped in the eye out of nowhere...

SILVER LINING: ...but it is kind of cool when you learn something new from the experience.

Oh, and just in case you don't believe me about the iris muscle thing? 
Check this link out: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/iritis/article_em.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment